Tuesday, May 19, 2015

When the Sewing Bug Bites....

I spent the weekend sleeping and eating, with some honest to goodness sewing chucked in. Friday night I caught up with some girlfriends for dinner, and Saturday night we went out to my favourite Chinese restaurant to celebrate a family birthday. On Saturday I was all set to get together with the Not The Farmer's Wife sewing girls for our monthly sewing sesh but a fortuitous message at 8 am , advised me that I had the date completely cocked up. Good thing I saw that or I would have rocked up at Claire's a full week early ( which given my usual Modus Operandi for being woefully late to sewing group , probably would have resulted in her having a heart attack) 

I've been avoiding some long neglected quilting projects for far too long and have added a couple more starts since I last looked at the unfinished pile and then promptly ignored them.  This past week, I decided to take stock of where my projects are at and how many UFO's I have laying around. It felt like I had an overwhelming amount of things in progress but once I got them all out it wasn't too bad at all. 


Marrakesh...sitting in the lounge waiting for me to decide if the centre rectangles need quilting....


Charming Stars has been living on the sewing room floor for about three months ...and has cat puke on it I think...


Miss Elizabeth hasn't been touched in about two months ....


I started this HST quilt a few months ago but progress had stalled.


Holiday Happy has been living in this box for about two years now in a state of unfinished-ness. There's nothing happy about that ....


And my Swoon blocks are driving me slightly mad , but at least they're only a couple of weeks old....

Something magical happened once I had all those projects out - the sewing bug bit and my motivation to sew came back with a vengeance. Happy Day!  

I finished half the HST quilt and decided to go with a more traditional layout for convenience(plus trying to work out setting squares was doing my head in) Yeah, I know I'm a wuss, and I will do setting squares at some point - just not on this quilt...


I picked up the cat puke quilt from the floor and got on with the quilting ....FYI it wasn't as bad as I thought...



And I decided that Marrakesh didn't need any extra quilting, chucked it in the wash and ended up with my first finish of 2015 ....


Here's the front ...


And here is the pretty part of the back ...


Now to sustain the momentum! 

23 comments:

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Nice work! Keep going! Strike while the mojo is hot (you know what I mean).

Kate said...

Wow! Glad the mojo came back. You certainly made the most of it. Marrakesh turned out beautifully. Congrats on the finish. You beat me, I've not had a finish yet this year and I have been sewing regularly.

Marie said...

awesome!

Marg said...

Look at you, your quilting mojo has finally returned. Love love love Marrakesh, and so glad you finished it. The possible cat puke is a bit of a worry, hope you quilted around it ;p.
Looking forward to your sewing mojo hanging around a little longer because you have some very lovely projects to work on!
I'm just not feeling the love for my Swoon blocks, I can see them being another never ending WIP.

Jennifer said...

Well done......a good start!

seabreezequilts said...

Think I have the maths for set in triangles in one of my class notes if you are interested. Also have a quilt coming up in handmade mag which is on point

ThreeOldKeys said...

Oh oh oh oh .... wow! Would you please capture one of those sewing bugs and ship it to me ... I could use something magical too!

Marrakesh is especially beautiful. What a quilting weekend! I bet it gave you a big lift.

Jackie said...

Nice work. I am still looking for my quilt finishing mojo. Sewing mojo (at least clothing wise) I seem to have. Finishing quilt mojo....not so much.

God bless.

Barb H said...

I just love the Marrakesh quilt! You've done a fabulous job on it!

Terri said...

Lookin' good. I love the Marrakesh quilt. I'm glad you left the centers with some dimension. Congrats on a finish!
The charm stars are very pretty.
Keep on Keeping on!
Hugs

barbara woods said...

beautiful quilts

Sue SA said...

Love the Marrakesh quilt, front and back! I want to make a charming squares quilt and seeing your quilt yours might be the kick in the pants I need. Dont fret about setting triangles maths...personally I just cut a square of homespun, in a guess size then if its too big cut it again...till I work it out!! You can play around with a scrap square first, but my rule with triangles is that bigger is better the too small. Slap dash I know, but what ever works, when you dont have a pattern to follow!

Susan said...

Love the Marrakesh quilt. Fantastic that your mojo came back.....keep up the good work!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Go Shay!! That's what I call an awesome day in the sewing room. Congratulations on your finish, it looks great!! It's so good to know your mojo is back and you're on fire!

Helsie said...

Cyclone Shay is back in business !

pwl said...

So nice to see you back in form.Hopefully you'll inspire me to count my UFOs and get some of them done.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Fabulous! Each and every one! Can you send the bug over to me....I have a little guilty pile too!

AnnieO said...

Glad the review meant all the percolating projects came to a boil and were declared fit to finish. Marrakech looks gorgeous. Congrats on your first finish of the year. That mojo will stick around I hope

Dee said...

Great effort !
I am in the process of rearranging my sewing room in preparation for the new window. Its time for a big clean up !!!

the running hare said...

Wow! The sewing mojo came back with a vengeance! Marrakesh is fabulous, front and back. You've made amazing progress on the others in just one day. I'm constantly getting my dates wrong and end up missing loads, though I have also been known to turn up a week early as well!

audrey said...

An excellent day and already a finish! You are amazing!

Paulette said...

So nice to see where you are on all your lovely WIPs. You hit a home run on Marrakesh. In general, I don't like bugs, but I wouldn't mind being bitten by the sewing bug if effects lead to a few finishes.

Brenda said...

Things are looking great at your house! (Love the new pic of you and the bio)